New Portland OR. System

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:49 am

Hello,

Now lets look at the manual... You should have a graph in the manual showing you the voltages and a length of time the controller is in Bulk, Absorb, and Float. They also tell you the default voltages. You have a lot of control to change these voltages on your LCD of the controller.

The settings of a controller seriously effect its performance.

Alan
Back to top Go down
http://offthegrid.forumsmotion.com
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:54 am

Hey SD,

I see your point where the system drops out (to zero), and I hear the buzz in the video...

Perhaps that controller was made on a Monday when they were really hung-over ! They will most likely blame it on China... HaHaHaHa

Alan
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:07 pm

I talked for a long time with the guys at wholesale solar and midnite about what was going on. the actual voltage the panels put out under load is right at the boarder line of the settings for input for the 24 volt charging system. if I were to put in say 36 volts on input, everything would of been fine. I am just barely under the low limit. they recommended I hook up series strings of 2 or 3 groups and then it will convert the excess voltage input back into the amp readings we should be getting. they basically described it like someone that had a 12 volt battery bank and switch over to a 24 volt system, its more efficient. I will do some testing by hooking it to the Missouri wind and solar charge controller , then switch them over to series in there combiner box and see which one works the best. I already spent a lot on that charge controller and its not just used for grid tied system, tons of videos out with people using it totally off the grid. well, time will tell how it goes, 3 days of very dark over cast sky's and I still get 7 to 15 amp input so far.
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:16 pm

I had a long talk with Roy at MidNite solar and he had me reset the classic charge controller in Legacy PO mode at 5%. last few days has been rain and heavy over cast. the sun breaks thru the clouds ever so and then, I just happened to have the lap top set up with the monitor program while I was having coffee this morning. I saw over 36amp going in and higher. so I went out with my camera to see if I could capture what was going on. I recorded over 42amps going in and over 1100 watts. while I did not have the camera on one time I hit as high as 51 amps at over 1300watts so I think the setting is working ok now. here is a video, kind of fuzzy sorry about that.

Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:12 pm

I made a second video at 12:30 showing the input between the clouds and also a short video using the computer program to monitor the classic charge controller from inside the house. here is the video showing the input. solar panels are still in parallel.
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:28 pm

well, todays sun condition is similar to yesterday, a lot of clouds, I still finished the day at 4KWH's. which is the best I have had so far.it 1:30 now and I am at 2.5KWH's. a lot of larger clouds then yesterday. temperature is 72degrees. I have had readings in the 1323 watt area over 50 amps a few times. for the most it stays in the 40amp range when the sun comes out. I continued digging the trench for the PVC coming from where the wind generators will be installed to the shed, and I picked up the 2 inch PVC and fittings and the adhesive. so I will see what I can get done today. would like to have the wind generator installed but it will have to remain in the brake position until I get the switch to the batteries installed.
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:26 pm

Here is a short video of work I got done this Friday. I had to take off cause my buddy that works for a Trojan battery dealer called me up. He said he had 4 more T-145 batteries for me, so I took off to pick them up! I did pick up the PVC to hold the power line from the wind generators to the shed and got a little more digging in. hope to finish it this weekend.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:29 pm

Hey SD,

Ive been out fishing in the South China Sea the last 2 days... and it is great to see the controller working ! Settings of a controller can change things so much !

Will you be running the output of the solar combiner to your MWS, then to your battery buss bars to get an idea of the production of your panels without MPPT ?

Alan
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:43 am

no reason to do extra work at the moment. I am trying to get everything hooked up and running before winter sets in. I need to get that switch and the resistors so I can finish hooking up the wind generators hopefully this weekend I can get the wind generator installation in progress. the PVC in the ground should be done Saturday morning and then start on the tower.
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:15 pm

well lets see if this works, I had to delete that last post. no text or video showed up when I posted it in the forum. have no idea what happened. anyway, here goes, I wired in the bridge rectifiers to the Missouri wind and solar charge controller then I started to assemble the Freedom II wind generator. have to wait for 4 bolts to arrive hopefully on Friday. they shipped the wrong bolt kit.
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:44 am

the 4 bolts showed up in the mail this morning , so the task of installing the Freedom II wind generator begings. here is a video of the final results.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:50 am

Hey SD,

It all looks fantastic !

All in time for winter !

Alan
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:31 pm

I finally got a little wind today. its blowing from the south, then changes from the east, and then drops off completely, but at least I got some input. here is a video showing the first day of wind.
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:22 pm

I finally got the Falcon Mac 5 80inch dia blades delivered. I had to prep, prime and paint the hub before I installed the blades.  after I installed the electric winch on top of the wooden frame, the rest was very easy to install the new blades. here is a short video of the install. even with very little wind the blades take right off. so we will see how they do in stronger winds and get some input readings later on.
Back to top Go down
hkalan

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:00 am

Hey SD,

A major difference !!! Outstanding choice !!!

Alan
Back to top Go down
http://islandmarine.000a.biz
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:15 pm

after talking with alan last night we found a formula that makes sure the vain and tail section matches the dia of the blades on your wind generator so it will keep the blades facing into the wind. here is a short video showing the results
Back to top Go down
hkalan

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:12 am

A well done improvement !!!

She is facing the wind !!!! That is fantastic. I leaned quite a bit from this dilemma !

Can you re-calibrate your controller so it read 00.0 amps ? I will assume the -00.1 is showing the power consumed for display.

If you cannot re-calibrate, then find the negative wire from the display, and put it on the other side of the shunt. That way it will be at Zero when there is no input or diversion load occurring !

Alan
Back to top Go down
http://islandmarine.000a.biz
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:21 am

Hello,

It appears the circuit board in that controller is fixed, and has a ribbon going to the display panel and will always show the "-00.1" when there is no input to the controller.

Overall the turbine is doing what it should now, and it looks like your battery bank SOC is going up to continue living well Off The Grid !

Great work brother SD !!!

Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:32 pm

this video will explain how the trees around the wind generator cut the power down from the wind depending on the wind direction, the second part of the video has information and a link to find the same formula that me and alan used to make modification to the wind generator to help keep the blades facing into the wind.
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:46 am

I still need to lengthen the vain to 48 inches, so once my back is better I will lower the wind generator and extend it out to 48 inches using some 2x2 metal stock I can pick up at lowes or home depot.
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:18 pm

well, I finally got the weather station installed. here is a short video trying to watch the lowest wind speed and direction to see when the blades actually start making power in the lowest wind. from the east at 7 mph I actually got a little input, but from the northeast at 12mph I did not get any input. Just a perfect example of dirty wind.
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:46 pm

We have a severe weather warning for the next two days for high wind storms. I checked my computer last night before I went to bed and the batteries were at 24.9. I use two ceramic heaters with the temp set by thermostats built into them to keep the place warm. Also when I woke up I made some coffee, basically everything in my home with the exception of the oven and water heater runs off my solar and wind power. here is a video showing the wind storm and my set up.

Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:21 pm

I made another video later on in the day showing the computer monitor system along with some more video of the wind generators and control room. Using all the normal equipment in the house along with the electric heaters the inverter showed only 28amp draw. the batteries continued to climb so I put another electric heater into the mix so I can control the system so it would not climb over 28volts input to the batteries. here is another video of results.

Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:36 pm

here is a new addition to my power input set up. a propane 4000 watt peak, 3250 watt generator with a 40 pound tank and sky max 24 volt 50 amp charger with bulk, absorb, and float mode programed into it. here is a short video of the set up.
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:53 pm

I had a perfect day to test the generator and 24volt charger. I set a limit of one hour of run time to check the response of the batteries. the generator and charger brought the batteries up to 26.8 and it remained there for the rest of the hour run time. I will do another test run tomorrow with a 2 hour run time and compare the results.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   

Back to top Go down

New Portland OR. System
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next