HomeCalendarFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

New Portland OR. System

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: New Portland OR. System   Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:38 pm

hello everyone.  I have about a week to wait for all the equipment to arrive here before I can start construction on my new set up. I will list the equipment below so you can see what I will be using.

1. charge controller  Midnight classic 150 for solar and Missouri wind and solar all in one for wind

2. Solar panels are Solar World Mono 275watt 8.9amp panels, I will have 6 of those.

3. Missouri wind and solar Freedom II dual 24volt wind generator with 7 raptor blades

4. Trojan batteries set up in 4 individual 24volt groups with individual shut off switches for each bank for service. total 1020amps

5. Magnum MS4024  inverter/charger 4000watts

6. Magnum mini breaker panel with remote for the MS4024

---------------------------------
after speaking with the techs at Magnum inverters and doing some research of my own. it is highly recommended that the batteries not be stored in the same room with all your electrical components.  the fumes can gather on anything and start to eat away at everything. so, I picked up some materials, started building the additions new sub floor and away I went lol. 4 1/2 hours later you will see what all I got done.  it was fairly warm, 98 degrees but I lived in las vegas for 20 years so I am use to the heat, here is a video of what all got done this sunday.

Here is what the battery room and storage room looks like now, I will start moving batteries in on 8/21.

here is a short video showing some of the work I got done on the new battery location.

--------------------------------

here is a short video of the installation of the solar panel frame installed on the roof. had 4 friends came over to help. it took us almost a hour to install. after they left, I picked up the 4 x 4's to attach at both ends of the frame for additional support.

well its Sunday, and I did not plan on doing any work. My friend showed up and we went out for a early breakfast.  After 4 cups of coffee and breakfast I seemed to have a little energy lol so we installed the 2 4x4's to the solar panel frame and set them in with concrete.  We also carried out the MS 4024 inverter/charger to the shed. I measured to place the control meter at eye level and attached a crossing 2x4 on the studs so we could lift this monster up into place then while she held it there, I could attach it with the mounting screws.  everything went great until we tried to lift it lol. we finally got it into place and secured.  here is a short video of the results.

Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:44 pm

The solar panels will be hooked up to a 35mm din rail with individual breakers for each solar panel then run to the controller.

the Missouri wind and solar will have a brake switch installed and eventually have a grid tie inverter hooked up to the dump load.

two 500 amp Terminal lugs with covers will provide connections for battery bank, inverter
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:12 am

Hey SD,

Looking very nice !

Alan
Back to top Go down
http://offthegrid.forumsmotion.com
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:34 pm

here is another short video up date of some of the electrical components installed today.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:07 am

Hey SD,

Outstanding display of planning and absolute control of safety, and hardware isolation for maintenance of an off grid system !

Love It !!!!

Alan
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:22 am

ok guys, here is a very short video,, the cable company showed up just as I started recording the video, so I could not show everything I got done.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:15 am

Hey SD,

Your System is coming together ! Collective planning is paying off 10-fold ! Fantastic !

Alan
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:25 pm

here is a short video up date from 9-5-2014. waiting on the combiner box, usps says its out for delivery, keeping my eye open for mail person.

Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:55 am

Howdy everyone!  Well after talking to alan about controlling any kind of heat issue in the control room and getting battery fumes out of its storage area he came up with a good idea for fan selections instead of using computer fans. here is a short video showing the first one installed in the battery room.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:36 am

Hello SD,

Those are great fans !

You will never have to worry if you or the batteries "Gas"... HaHaHaHa

Alan
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:11 am

Here is a short video of the combiner box install. also started wiring in the two exhaust fans in the control room.

Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:00 am

here is a video showing the two exhaust fans installed in the control room using a home made 24 volt accessory box.

Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:34 pm

here is a short video showing the cables hooked up to the 4 battery banks going thru the fuses and on/off switches to the 500amp buss bars.  I also installed the two bridge rectifiers to the heat sink and mounted them on the wall.

Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:38 pm

I got a little more done in the shed today. I have both ground rods hooked up, also installed some indoor outdoor carpet to quiet down some of the noise from walking on a wood floor. installed some heavier door hinges also. finally got to open the inverter and the next thing I will do is get the midnight classic hooked up to the inverter and the combiner box.
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:03 am

here is a short video showing the solar panels installed. we got it done in less then a hour because of the mounts allan sent over. they worked great!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:13 am

OUTSTANDING !!!

The mounts hold up on my boats when we have typhoon wind gusts of over 100 MPH when on a horizontal surface (fibreglass roof top with a washer on each side of the bolt attached to the base of the mount). Your angled setup with long screws into the lumber should hold well !

Looking Good My Friend !

Alan

Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:02 am

Finally got the last 2 cables made and hooked up to the inverter. I left the inverter switch turned off and turned on all the battery switches, then powered up the solar panels one by one. the sun had already set for the evening.  The classic start up procedures were followed except for setting the date and time. ill do that tomorrow. here is a short video of the first start up of my new set up.!!!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:09 am

Its ALIVE !!!!!

Great Work Brother SD !!

Alan
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:00 pm

I started watching the input from the solar panels thru the controller at 9 this morning, I finally made a recording at 11.00
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:04 pm

I finally finished installing the sub panel today, and I could not resist testing the inverter so I plugged in a vacuum and fired it up. everything seem to work fine, I will continue some more testing later on. here is a short video of results.
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:17 pm

I got the cables re-routed on the inverter. I ran a heavy drop cord into the house. plugged in the large gaming computer, printer, and 32 inch LED TV and a fan running off the inverter. I went out to check the amp draw on the inverter meter and it was measuring 8 amps. I up loaded this video with off grid power so this is a (FIRST) . here is a short video with the inverter cover on and the meter working.
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:49 pm

I made a recording of the input changes and also a copy of the wiring diagram I followed
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:06 pm

I made another recording at 1:42 showing higher input with drastic changes.
Back to top Go down
SilentDeath001

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:44 pm

if you watch the voltage input, when it changes from 31.4 area and drops down to 27.4 area the watts and amp output both go way up. again, watching you can see it just go to 0 then you will see the voltage input go up to 31.0 area and the watts and amp output decrease.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:39 am

Good Morning SD,

I know very little about "Midnite" Solar Charge Controllers, so lets look at this scientifically and run some tests !

Although the sun is out, it does not mean you will have 100% power production. The panels will be at a peak in the middle of the day when the sun is high in the sky with a direct over-head contact with the face of the panels, that's when you get good production.

The base math works... the watts of the panels, divided by the displayed battery volts is correct (example: 480w / 26.5 = 18 amps)

FIRSTLY: Lets start when the sun is high in the sky (noon or whenever your location weather shows). Then begin to turn off one panel at a time at your solar combiner. watch the watt input change. Document this and see how many watts is eliminated with each panel you turn off. it should average equally.

SECOND: Now you have all solar panels isolated from your charge controller. Take a reading of your battery voltage (it will slowly go down and all the sells equalise) at your plus and minus buss bar. Now start back at the first panel you turned off, and begin to turn them on.. documenting the watts it is giving to your solar charge controller.

THIRD: We are currently in the Mid Autumn season, and the advised angle of the panels for Portland OR is 44 degrees. Your panel frame looks very close to that, so you should be getting full production. At this time I would think you need to get a 1,300 to 1,600 watt draw (load) going on your inverter. Best device for that is your window air conditioner, or an electric tea kettle. Once you engage those, the load on the inverter should allow your controller to open any doors that may be causing restrictions.

Keep in mind to do this when your sun is at it's highest !

Alan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Portland OR. System   

Back to top Go down

New Portland OR. System
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next